Monday, December 12, 2011

Blog Post # 22 Putting Away Christmas

At this time of year, almost every single culture celebrates.  Some celebrate the birth of a savior.  Some celebrate the anniversary of a war or seige.  Some celebrate the defeat of the darkness.  In the American culture, we celebrate, but many people don’t understand what we’re celebrating.

In America, we celebrate tradition.  We celebrate values.  We celebrate those icons that we believe made our country great, what it stands for.  We celebrate Family and Sharing; we celebrate Work Ethic; we celebrate Love and Joy.  We express that celebration through joy and good will.  We share our success.  We share our bounty.  We share our wealth.  We share our homes.  We share our food. We share the core that is our humanity.

We celebrate The Day.

It doesn’t really matter too much what The Day stands for.  It can mean anything that an individual wants it to mean.  Even The Grinch made it stand for something.  It’s what we believe that matters.  The celebration lasts through the final weeks of December and into the first week of January.  Then, as a culture we put it away into boxes.  We ignore the decorations, the lights, the colors, the feelings until the next Thanksgiving rolls around.  Then we start looking for the Spirit that left us last year, hoping that we will find it again this year.

I used to own a two foot fake Christmas tree that had fiber optic lights that changed colors and intensity by a preset pattern.  It was beautiful and I loved that tree.  It was one of the first fiber optic trees on the market and the moment I saw it I knew that I had to have it.  It was exorbitantly expensive but it didn’t matter to me.  The lights, the color, the movement all made the tree seem like a living being that enhanced my enjoyment of the season.

As the years passed, I got different trees, and my little two foot tree got moved aside.  I never ignored it or despised it, but it seldom got used like it did during the first few years of its life.  Finally, I brought it into my office for my staff to enjoy.  The second year that I brought it in and decorated it, when it came time to put it away, I was busy and couldn’t be bothered.  It sat in a corner of my office, unplugged, but still decorated.  Every time I looked at it I felt guilty that I hadn’t taken care of it.  But over time, it became familiar, and I actually liked seeing it there every morning when I came in.

One day, in June, another manager I worked with closely was sitting in my office as we discussed a change in our policy and looked over at the tree.  It still had the decorations on it, but it was dusty and jammed into a small corner next to my credenza.  Matt looked over at it and asked why it was still sitting there.

“You know,” I said, “Every year we enjoy Christmas to the hilt.  We love the colors, the lights, the presents, the food, the whole spirit.  Then it’s over.  We put it away in boxes in the attic or the basement or the closet.  And usually around July we moan about the spirit of Christmas and why can’t it last the whole year.  But we’re the one’s who put it in boxes and put it away to be forgotten.  So I decided to leave it up where it can remind me every day to keep the spirit of Christmas.”

He looked at me for a moment, then said, “I think that’s great.”

So I said, “Or else, I’m just too lazy to put it away.  Take your pick.”

He gave a huge belly laugh (he had a flat stomach so that took some doing) and we both laughed for several minutes.

“You’ve just made my entire year.”  He said. 

So this year, when you’re putting away all the symbols and signs of the season that made you feel the best, think for a moment on what it is you’re trying to put away, and ask yourself “Is this the right thing to be doing?”

I no longer have that tree.  It gave up the ghost a few years ago.  I have a seven foot fiber optic tree that sits in its corner and illuminates the room and the night.  It stands there from Thanksgiving until mid-January.  Reluctantly, I take the ornaments off and put them away and feel regret with each bulb that gets put into a plastic box.  Every inch of garland that gets rolled up  becomes a recrimination.  How in the heck can I be putting away the things that remind me of the best part of the year, the best part of humanity?

So I listen to my Christmas playlists during the summer.  I buy Christmas presents all year long when they're on sale.  I plant the feasts weeks in advance.  I look forward to the dark part of the year that allows me to share the best part of the year, the best part of myself, with everyone.

Enjoy Chirstmas.  Enjoy Yuletide.  Enjoy Chanukah.  Enjoy Kwanzah.  Enjoy Whatever it is that you are celebrating at this time of year.  But enjoy it all year long.  Don't put it away; don't forget it.  Enjoy it.  And let others enjoy it through you all year long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading years ago that Ed McMahon had a "Christmas Room" in house where he'd go to ease his mind. I imagine that's something you could do ?
For me, I like the idea of putting all the decorations and such away. Because, it just feels that much more special when unpacking them and putting them up. Kind of like the way I rarely watch my favorite movies. I never want to watch them so much I get used to them...I always want it to feel like a small "event".
But, I do agree that people shouldn't wait until that ONE time every year to get all sentimental and social.We should feel that way about the people around us all the time. Same reason I don't care for Valentine's Day. If you love someone you should show them several "Valentine's Days" a year.