Monday, October 24, 2011

Post # 20 It’s Not About the Sex

There’s so much going on in the world today, that it’s very difficult for me to choose what I’m going to write about.  I’ve already faced the fact that I just suck at journaling or blogging, but I’m going to keep plugging away at it.  As Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbs) once said, “I believe everyone is entitled to my opinion.”  So there will be more activity for a few weeks until other things grab my attention.
The topic today is gay marriage.  This is the topic because I think there are a couple of things that people need to understand about it.
First is the concept of gay marriage.  It’s not really marriage, per se, that I want.  What I want are the legal rights, dignity, and consideration that every other citizen of this country, and of this world get.  A friend once said to me that he agreed in civil unions that were recognized legally and that gave all the same rights and privileges as marriage, but that the purpose of marriage was to raise children and since gays couldn’t do that, why would they want marriage.  So I asked him why he got married.  He replied because he fell in love.  Oh, I see, I said, so the subject of children didn’t really enter into it.  Then I asked him why a civil union that held all the rights and privileges of marriage couldn’t be called marriage.  Why would there have to be something separate but equal for gays?  If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, and looks like a duck, why call it a moose?  That being said, even if I don’t want a marriage, it’s what it symbolizes that I do want, therefore, I want marriage.  I want to be treated like any other citizen, and I want my quacks to be called quacks.
Second, it’s being shouted in all the political forums right now that same sex marriage is evil and from the devil.  It will pervert our young people and destroy civilization as we know it.  Well, I kind of hope so on that last one.  What people are not considering is that same sex marriage isn’t about sex.  It’s about love.  If I want sex, I can get it anywhere at almost any time.  Sex is one of the most readily available commodities in the world.  There’s a reason why prostitution is called the world’s oldest profession.  Love, on the other hand, is not so easily found.  Some people go their whole lives without finding it.  Thousands of books have been written about the tragedy of finding Love and losing it.  What I want is to not be vilified because the love of my life, my soul mate, happens to be the same sex that I am.
I don’t care who the person you love is as long as you love each other and are happy together.  I want the same to be said of me, without the raised eyebrow.
And someday, I want it to not even be a question.

No comments: